A couple of people have commented to me that I never talk about any really embarrassing events in my life. Hopefully this post will go a little way towards rectifying that situation.
In the past 7 days the following events occurred:
- I left my debit card in an ATM machine. This would not be the first time I have done this.
- I tried to fix a slow leak in one of my tires using sealant. I had done this before on the Subaru. I figured it would be no big deal on the Mazda. I jacked the car up, deflated the tire, pulled out the valve stem, and squeezed a little sealant into it. And then I couldn’t squeeze any more. It was blocked. And no matter what I tried, I couldn’t unblock it.
- I decided to take the wheel to a tire shop and have them look at it. That’s when I discovered that a) the wheels had locking lug nuts; and b) the lug nut key was nowhere to be found.
- I angrily called my dealer, who told me to call Mazda’s roadside assistance. The tow truck arrived, and took my car away to the nearest dealer.
- This morning I talked to the service department that worked on my car. They informed me of two facts:
- My wheel valves have tire pressure gauges, which I had badly clogged by trying to introduce sealant.
- The lug nut key was in the glove compartment.
I am convinced there is a special circle of Stupid reserved for smart people, a realm of surpassing boneheadedness that we sail blithely into, secure in the knowledge of our own infallibility.