So I blew a bunch of time researching candidates this morning.
First of all, I am flat disgusted at the lack of useful candidate info
out there for this race. The candidates websites are useless because
they speak in vague generalities, and the debate transcripts are
useless for mostly the same reason.
The Republicans have blown any chance they had with me this year
because of this:
Sorry, you work against third party access, you don’t get my vote. End
- Corbett: Republican. Disqualified, see above.
- Onorato: Seems like a decently fleshed-out platform.
- Marakay Rogers,
libertarian, has way too little info on her page, but she appears to
be the only candidate who is being outspoken about GLBT issues.
Tempted to support her for that reason alone.
- Toomey: Republican, disqualified. Appears better for business (which
carries weight with me), but worse on national defense, women’s
- Sestak: NAVY NAVY OMG I WAS IN THE MOTHERFUCKING NAVY IN THE NAVY
YOU CAN SAIL THE SEVEN SEAS IN THE NAVY I LEARNED HOW TO CONNECT WITH
ORDINARY PENNSYLVANIANS NAVY NAVY GOOOOOOOOOO NAVY!
- Jamison: Libertarian. I am used to cutting LP candidates a lot of
slack, but please. This is not a campaign platform. It’s not even a Craig’s List ad. Try harder next time.
- Joshua A Monighan: Running for something called the “Independent Patriots”, which loses 10 points for the name alone. His platform seems mostly sound, though – smaller government, get out of foreign wars, end the drug war, yay for natural health, etc. There’s just one suspicious line: “Healing Family structure and moral fabric of our Society”. Could this otherwise socially-liberal sounding candidate harbor anti-gay sentiments? Impossible to tell for sure from this limited info. SERIOUSLY CANDIDATES I WORK LIKE 12 HOURS A DAY AND I HAVE MORE TIME TO WRITE THAN YOU PEOPLE WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU? Also, I have better grammar. Update: yep, looks like he’s a social conservative: http://www.votesmart.org/npat.php?can_id=127694#20724
- Todd Platts: Republican, disqualified. I don’t recall liking him the last time around anyway.
- Ryan Sanders: Democrat. His campaign site is as vague as most, but wins my favorite campaign site of the day for managing to still be somehow adorable. He’s like a fresh-faced little kid on his first day of school, right before 12 years of soul-crushing bullying. I just want to hug him.
Enough for now, I have work to do.