Does anyone else have one musical artist that you think is so special that you feel it’s your duty to spread their gospel far and wide? For me, that band is Over the Rhine. I listen to a lot of different music, but Over the Rhine is the one group I feel no hesitation in recommending to anyone I know, no matter what their age, background, or tastes. I can’t recall anyone I’ve ever introduced to them disliking the music. OtR is one of those bands that transcends boundaries.
I recently put an Over the Rhine compilation together for
. I think it came together pretty well, and I’ve decided to offer it to others as well. If you want a copy, leave your address (or email it to me: avdi at avdi dor org), and I’ll send you a CD. I can’t tell you how happy this group has made me over the years, and I want others to share the joy.
Here’s the track listing:
1. Drunkard’s Prayer (from Drunkard’s Prayer)
sweet intoxication, when your words wash over me
whether or not your lips move, you speak to me.
2. All I Need is Everything (from Good Dog Bad Dog)
There’s nothing harder than learning how to receive.
3. The World Can Wait (from Films for Radio)
I want to feel and then some
I Have five senses I need thousands more… at least.
4. Everyman’s Daughter (from Good Dog Bad Dog)
There’s so much of us in each other
If I hate you you’re my best reminder of all I wish I was
5. Jesus in New Orleans (from Ohio)
He’s still my favorite loser
Falling for the entire human race
6. Nobody Number One (from Ohio)
Pain is our mother
She makes us recognize each other
7. Cruel and Pretty (from Ohio)
Electric lines and wispy jet contrails
Ships at sea, B&O train rails
A tunnel of light like the Seven Eleven
Meet me in the back streets of heaven…
8. Hush Now (Stella’s Tarantella) (from Drunkard’s Prayer)
Spin me ’round this kitchen floor
Like a carnaval troubador
I know we’re only two-bit clowns
In a one-ring circus
9. Within Without (from Eve)
Though I’m usually pacifistic
You are mercifully sadistic
10. Sleep Baby Jane (from Eve)
Turpentine, turpentine, potion for my valentine
Take a ride and take it in a long black hearse
11. I Radio Heaven (from Films for Radio)
The truth is I bleed you when these frequencies cut me
I’m a slut with a mission, a singular vision
12. Rhapsodie (from Patience)
And if you should ever leave
Then I would love you for what you need
13. Born (from Drunkard’s Prayer)
Put your elbows on the table
I will listen long as I am able
There’s nowhere I’d rather be
14. Latter Days (from Good Dog Bad Dog)
What a beautiful piece of heartache this has all turned out to be.