Because I just finished another podcast and I feel like bitching…
Here are the steps that go into making a Wide
- Interview someone. This is the fun part!
- Make a copy of my podcast template in Audacity.
- Import the interview recording into the project.
- Convert the recording to a single channel.
- Listen to the entire recording to check for audio issues.
- Edit out the pre- and post-interview chatter, and make any other
necessary edits for time or content. This can be quick or very
time-consuming, depending on the recording.
- Run the compressor on the recording.
- Jot down some notes for an intro.
- Record the intro. This usually requires a couple of takes.
- Convert the intro to a single channel.
- Run the compressor on the intro.
- Align and do appropriate fade-ins and fade-outs for intro music,
intro, pre-interview bumper, interview, post-interview bumper,
wrap-up, and exit music. This takes a while.
- Export to MP3.
- Set MP3 metadata.
- Upload the MP3 to Dreamhost.
- Start a new blog post.
- Set blog post category and tags.
- Hunt down a photo of the interviewee. Edit it if necessary to get
the right size.
- Attach the photo to the post.
- Find URLs for author’s Twitter, home page, their company home page
and twitter, and any tools or services mentioned during the interview.
- Write up show notes. Include above URLs. Insert Powerpress macro.
- Write a blurb for the “excerpt” field, which is what shows on the home page.
- Copy the filename of the MP3 into the appropriate field. Verify it.
All in all it’s a tedious process take upwards of three hours.